Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why do we create shit?

When you put DRM onto your book, your song, your movie, by definition you are saying, "I don't want you to read/listen/see what I've done."

Who you're saying that to is the person who would have gotten an "illegal copy" because the DRM wasn't in there (or the poor fool who paid for it and it no longer works).

In other words, it is an inherent limiter of access, as opposed to an enabler.

I don't think anyone would really argue against that, except in that DRM might "enable" more "content" to be made.

Which is the stupidest fucking argument in the world.

We create because we burn to create.

I write because I have something to say.  I sing because I feel good.  I make a video game because I want to share with you what is within my head, because I, at least, think it's really cool.  If I make money from it, Hallelujah, but even that would only be a symbol of validation from the players of my game.

A producer may finance a movie to make money.  But the people who make it--if they are any good--do it because they have an innate, intrinsic desire to do it well.  Sure, they want to make money, but it is not the money motive that makes them good.

Art that is made solely for profit motive always sucks.  People can tell.  If there's no love in there, it can only ever be a house decoration, never art.  Witness every song Britney Spears has ever "made".

American Idol is a crass manipulation, but the singers who sing on there  have much bigger dreams.

People who make, make,  Creators create.  The any idea that any God Damned Fool can make art because of the lure of the almighty dollar is the idea of someone who has never created anything, or tried.

For if you've tried and failed, then you know better.  And all who try, fail-- generally more than they succeed.  It's the nature of the beast, and part of the pain that must be endured by anyone who is serious about doing this kind of stuff.  So to say it requires dollars to get people to create is stupid in the extreme.

There no place in any art for DRM--it just makes it harder to share it.  And sharing it is the best thing that can possibly be done with it.

Ever.





No comments:

Post a Comment